Saturday, February 27, 2010

Homemade Oreo's


Today I am venturing off into unknown territory! I made these home made oreo's. I know they wont be as good as the originals...they will probably be better, BUT there is a big difference in store bought and home made. They are both good in their own way. Home made ones are soft, store bought are crunchy and I love them both! Here goes Nothin!

Homemade Oreo's

For Cookies:
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch process cocoa (i used reg cocoa powder)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar (see recipe note)
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS room temperature, unsalted butter
1 large egg

For Creme Filling:
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) room temperature, unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups SIFTED confectioners sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Set 2 racks in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375 degrees.
2. In a food processor, bowl, or electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar. While pulsing or on low speed, add the butter. Then add the egg. Continue mixing/processing until dough comes together in a mass.
3. Take rounded teaspons of batter and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet approximately two inches apart. With moistened hands, slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 9 minutes, rotating tray's from upper to lower to ensure even baking. Set baking sheets on a rack to cool.
4. To make Creme filling, place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until filling is light and fluffy.
5. To assemble cookies, either put a small glob in the middle of the cookie (like my wording?) and put the cookies together smooshing slightly to get the creme to the edges. You can also use a piping bag if you want to add another step to the process ;)

NOTE: The sugar in the cookie recipe says 1 to 1 1/2 cups. The original recipe says you can alter it to taste depending on how sweet you like your cookie. Since it was my first time, I used about 1 and 1/4 a cup and they tasted fine to me.

I highlighted SIFTED because I didn't sift my powdered sugar and my cream was VERY thick. I actually had to add milk to it to thin it out. I think if since sifting adds air, its not as much sugar so you can either do it that way if you don't have a sifter and just add some milk, or sift it.

I have to say these cookies turned out pretty good!! They were easy to make!

1 comment:

Fire -n- Ice said...

These are WONDERFUL!!!! Mmmm.... that's all I have to say!