Thursday, January 7, 2010

Butternut Squash Lasagne

My Mother in law gave us this cookbook for Christmas and we are SO excited because it has A TON of amazing recipes! We are so excited to try them all, pretty much EVERYTHING (minus the seafood stuff) sounds so good. We decided to try the Butternut Squash Lasagna first. I'm not a huge fan of Butternut Squash, but my husband Greg is. He could eat it every day :)


Butternut Squash Lasagna
3 lbs Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-1/2 inch slices
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 c. milk
1 Tbs. Snipped fresh rosemary
9 no boil lasagna noodles
1 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1. Lightly grease a large baking pan. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place squash, oil and 1/2 tsp salt on the pan. Toss lightly to coat, and spread in an even layer. Roast uncovered 25-30 min or until squash is tender, stirring once. Reduce oven temp. to 375.
2. Meanwhile (while squash is roasting) for sauce, in a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour and 1/2 tsp. salt. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the roasted squash and rosemary.
3. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking pan or baking dish. Spread about 1 cup of sauce evenly in the prepared pan or dish. Layer three of the uncooked noodles in pan or dish. Spread with one third of the remaining sauce. Sprinkel with 1/3 of the parmesan cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times starting with noodles and ending with cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese, cover tightly with foil.
4. Bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes more or until edges are bubbly and top is lightly browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8-10 servings.
Ok so that's the recipe. I wasn't in love with it, but it tasted good. Greg liked it but thinks it needed more salt. You really do need to start the sauce as soon as you put the squash in to roast. It took me a good 25 minutes until that sauce started thickening up. I must have had my heat too low or something. also, the recipe doesn't tell you what to do with the squash slices, I just layered them over the noodles that had sauce on them already. It smelled REALLY good while I was cooking it. the combo of garlic and rosemary was heavenly which caught me by suprise because I have never really been a fan of it. The kids gobbled it up too, so its a good way for them to get their veggies!! Hope you try it! If you do, leave me a comment so I know you tried it!

I can't wait to try more recipes from this cookbook. It really is amazing!!

2 comments:

mandi said...

so was it good? I've got a few marked to try but haven't actually done it yet.

Greg and Mel said...

It was good Mandi, I think you'd like it. The smell when its cooking is SO good!! :)