Friday, January 1, 2010

spinich artichoke dip take 1

while I have found my perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe, I am still on the lookout for the perfect spinich artichoke dip recipe. If anyone out there in blog world has it, please share it with me. I am looking for one that is just like the dip you can get at applebees. If they can make it then gosh darnit so can I.

This was the dip we tried for new years eve. It was REALLY good, but a little too chunky for my taste. I like a more smooth, cheesy version (like applebees) It makes enough for a crowd. Greg, my grandpa and my 3 kids and I ate it all gone. I served it with a sliced french baguette and tortilla chips. Here is the recipe, courtesy of allrecipes.com

1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
1/3 cup grated Romano cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a blender or food processor, place artichoke hearts, Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese and garlic . Pulse until chopped, but not ground. Set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together spinach, heavy cream, sour cream and mozzarella cheese. Stir in artichoke mixture. Spoon into prepared baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

NOW, walmart does not sell romano cheese so I used asiago. It tasted really good in my opinion. I also added more cream to attempt to make it thinner. I also sprinkled more motzerella and parmesan on the top and turned the broiler on hi for the last 5 min to get a nice top. I also read on the recipe reviews that people added cream cheese. I think if I ever make this again, I'll only use half the spinich. It was a good dip and I don't really think you can mess it up!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The pictures make me hungry....